Getting from Dubrovnik to Vis island or Vis to Dubrovnik involves several options – you can get there by passenger ferry, car ferry, bus & ferry, or private transfer. The total distance between Dubrovnik and Vis island is just under 160 kilometers. There are no flights between the two places and no train connections. Here are all details:
Table of Contents
If you are a foot passenger
June to September, Tuesday travel option
If you are traveling on Tuesdays between June and September, take the morning fast ferry from Dubrovnik to Hvar and change there for another fast ferry to Vis. See the map below.
Dubrovnik via Hvar to Vis
- Dubrovnik to Hvar departure is 07:00, arrival in Hvar 10:30*
- Hvar to Vis departure is TUE 16:15, arrival Vis 17:05
June to September, Wednesday travel option
If you are traveling on Wednesdays between June and September, take the morning fast ferry to Bol (Brac Island), get a taxi to Milna, and change there for another fast ferry to Vis. See the map below.
Dubrovnik via Bol and Milna (Brac Island) to Vis
- Dubrovnik to Bol departure is 07:00, arrival in Bol (Brac) 11:40*
- Taxi from Bol to Milna (50 min ride/1 hour)
- Milna (Brac) to Vis departure is WED 15:40, arrival Vis 16:30
Important: *Morning departures from Dubrovnik to Hvar and Bol are only from June to September. At other times, the daily afternoon departure is available only meaning you would need to overnight on Brac or Hvar island.
All year-round daily travel options – Ferry & Bus
If you are traveling in other periods, take the morning bus to Split and change there for a fast ferry to Vis. See the map below.
Dubrovnik via Split to Vis island
- Dubrovnik to Split by bus – departure is 08:00, arrival Split 12:30
- Split to Vis by ferry – at least two daily afternoon departures
Vis via Split to Dubrovnik
- Vis to Split by ferry – at least 3 daily departures
- Split to Dubrovnik by bus – several afternoon departures
via Korcula & Split to Vis island
- Dubrovnik to Korcula, departure is 13:00, arrival in Korcula 15:30
- Korcula to Vela Luka by bus, departure is 18:15, arrival 19:00 (overnight)
- Vela Luka to Split by ferry, early morning
- Split to Vis by ferry, departure 15:00, arrival Vis 16:25
Both ferry lines and buses run all year round. Get tickets at TP Line & Jadrolinija, for a bus ticket book at the bus station. Both above options are suitable for bad weather when fast ferries do not sail.
Map of all car ferries, roads, and fast catamaran ferry crossings
The above map shows 4 travel routes: 1. fast ferry between Vis, Hvar, and Dubrovnik; 2. Vis via Milna to Dubrovnik, 3. via Split & Vela Luka, 4. fast ferry via Bol, Brac. For a large map with all travel options check the detailed map.
Driving from Vis to Dubrovnik and back
With the shortest and the fastest driving route, you can reach Vis from Dubrovnik in about 6 hours. The driving distance is 290 km via E65 and D8 roads. Driving via Peljesac bridge (see map) will shorten the driving times by at least 1 hour.
There are no direct car ferries between Dubrovnik and Vis island. The driving distance is about 290 km. If you are traveling by car here are the directions:
- Drive from Dubrovnik to Split via Peljesac Bridge (3 hours, 30 minutes)
- Car Ferry from Split to Vis (2 hours 20 minutes)
Book car ferry tickets at Jadrolinija. Check all ferry schedules and connections at the croatiaferries.com site.
Private Transfer, Taxi, or Uber
Private boat transfers or water taxis will take you between both places (check available options here). Uber operates in Split and Dubrovnik and will take you between two cities but not to the island. A regular taxi is also an option, especially between Dubrovnik and Split. The fastest option is by private transfer (water taxi), which takes about 4.5 to 5 hours (weather permitting). However, the most reliable option, which operates in any weather is to drive or bus to Split and slow car ferry from there to the island.
In the above map, you can see the locations of both places and the arrival/departure ferry ports. See also this map
- Traveling further and more info: island hopping in Croatia