Getting from Brac to Vis and Vis to Brac involves at least 3 options – you can get there by fast ferry, car ferry, or private transfer. The total distance between Vis and Brac is just over 31 kilometers (about 20 nautical miles). There are no flights between the two islands and no train connections. Here are all details:
Above photo: Mooring at Vis Island, arrived from Brac – views over the bay
If you are a foot passenger
All year round Wednesdays travel option
If you are traveling on Wednesdays, take the direct fast ferry between Brac (Milna) and Vis. See the map below.
Milna to Vis
- Milna to Vis departure is WED 15:40 (18:40), arrival in Vis 16:35 (19:35)
- Vis to Milna departure is WED 07:00, arrival in Milna (Brac) 07:55
Tuesdays travel option
If you are traveling on Tuesdays, all year round, take the morning fast ferry to Milna (Brac Island) and change there for another fast ferry to Pomena on Mljet. See the map below.
Brac (Bol) via Hvar to Vis
- Bol (Brac) to Hvar departure is daily June to September departure 12:15, arrival Bol 13:05 or Bol to Jelsa, daily, all year round, departs 17:10 arrives 17:30. Bus or taxi to Hvar. Overnight in Jelsa/Hvar (Jelsa bus schedules).
- Hvar to Vis departure is 16:15 (17:15), arrival Vis 17:10 (18:10)
Vis via Hvar to Brac
- 1/ Vis to Hvar departure is TUE 07:00, arrival in Hvar 07:50
- 2/ Hvar to Bol (Brac), June to September, departure is 10:50 (18:25), arrival 11:40 (19:15) at Bol
- 2a/ or Hvar to Milna (Brac), April to October option, departs 19:50 arrival 20:20
- 2b/ or Jelsa to Bol, all year round, departs 06:00 (for this option you would need to overnight)
Daily travel option
If you are traveling any other time of year or on any other weekday, your travel options are all connected with Split. (See the map below)
Brac via Split to Vis
Via Split: Supetar to Split, 50 minutes, Milna to Split: 1hr 5 min; Bol to Split – several times a day in high season; Sutivan to Split, all year round.
Vis via Split to Brac
- Vis to Split, the earliest departure is 05:30, arrival in Split at 07:50
- Split to Brac – numerous daily departures by either fast or slow ferries.
For all the above options, for the first leg of the journey, get tickets at Jadrolinija, for the second leg, get tickets at Krilo or Adriatic Express.
Map of all car ferries, roads, and fast catamaran ferry crossings
The above map shows all travel routes: 1. fast ferry between Vis, Hvar, and Brac; 2. Vis via Milna to Split, 3. Vis via Split to all Brac ports: Bol, Milna, Sutivan and Supetar. For a large map with all travel options see a detailed google map. Also, check island hopping from Split info.
Driving from Vis to Brac or Brac to Vis
With the shortest and the fastest driving route, you can reach Brac from Vis in about 4 hours. The driving distance is 75 km, using two car ferries.
There are no direct car ferries between Vis and Brac island. The driving distance is about 75 km but you will drive just to change a ferry in Split port. If you are traveling by car here are the directions and daily travel options for all year round:
- Car Ferry from Vis to Split (2 hours 20 minutes)
- Drive across the ferry terminal to get on
- Car ferry from Split to Supetar (Brac Island) (50 minutes)
Book car ferry tickets at Jadrolinija. For all detailed ferry schedules check with croatiaferries.com
Private Transfer, Taxi, or Uber
Water taxis will get you from Brac island to Vis (check available offers). Taxis do operate on the islands but are not viable as mostly ferries are used. Uber is still not available here. The fastest option is by water taxi, which takes about 2.5 to 3 hours (check the weather before committing). The most reliable option is to travel by large car ferries (Vis >Split > Supetar) as they operate in any weather.
In the above map, you can see the locations of both islands and their main ferry ports.
- Traveling further and more detailed info: Zlatni Rat beach, about traveling around Croatia & Mljet to Vis travel options