Getting from Vis to Mljet and Mljet to Vis involves at least four options – you can get there by ferry, car ferry, bus, or private transfer. The total distance between Vis and Mljet is just over 140 kilometers. There are no flights between the two islands and no train connections. Here are all details:
If you are a foot passenger
April to October, Tuesdays travel option
If you are traveling on Tuesdays between April to October, take the morning fast ferry to Hvar and change there for another fast ferry to Pomena on Mljet. See the map below.
Vis via Hvar to Mljet
- Vis to Hvar departure is TUE 07:00, arrival in Hvar 07:50
- Hvar to Pomena (Mljet) departure is 08:40, arrival Pomena (Mljet) 10:40
April to October, Wednesdays travel option
If you are traveling on Wednesdays between April to October, take the morning fast ferry to Milna (Brac Island) and change there for another fast ferry to Pomena on Mljet. See the map below.
Vis via Milna (Brac Island) to Mljet
- Vis to Milna departure is WED 07:00, arrival in Milna (Brac) 07:55
- Milna (Brac) to Pomena (Mljet) departure is 08:10, arrival Pomena (Mljet) 10:40
April to October, daily travel option
If you are traveling between April to October, take the morning car ferry to Split and change there for a fast ferry to Pomena on Mljet. See the map below.
Vis via Split to Mljet
- Vis to Split departure is 05:30, arrival in Split 07:50
- Split to Pomena (Mljet) departure is 07:40, arrival Pomena (Mljet) 10:40
All year round daily travel option
Vis via Split & Dubrovnik to Mljet
- Vis to Split by slow ferry departure is 05:30 arrival in Split 07:50
- Split to Dubrovnik by bus departure is 08:00, arrival Dubrovnik 12:45
- Dubrovnik to Sobra by fast ferry 14:30, arrival Sobra (Mljet) 15:50
Mljet via Dubrovnik & Split to Vis island
- Sobra (Mljet) to Dubrovnik, departure is 06:00, arrival in Dubrovnik 07:20
- Dubrovnik to Split by bus, departure is 09:00, arrival Split 13:30
- Split to Vis by ferry, departure 15:00, arrival Vis 16:25
Ferry & Bus Option (all year round)
This option is good for bad weather when fast ferries do not sail:
- Vis to Split ferry (Jadrolinija)
- Split to Vela Luka (Korcula) ferry (Jadrolinija)
- Bus from Vela Luka to Ston (tickets)
- Ston to Prapratno taxi
- Prapratno to Sobra (Mljet) ferry (Jadrolinija)
Map of all car ferries, roads, and fast catamaran ferry crossings
The above map shows 4 travel routes: 1. fast ferry between Vis, Hvar, and Mljet; 2. Vis via Milna to Mljet, 3. Vis via Split & Vela Luka and Prapratno to Mljet, 4. Vis via Split & Dubrovnik to Sobra. For a large map with all travel options see a detailed google map. Refer to island hopping from Split article and Split to Hvar option.
Driving from Vis to Mljet or Mljet to Vis
With the shortest and the fastest driving route, you can reach Mljet from Vis in 4 hours and 50 minutes. The driving distance is 151.5 km via D118 road.
There are no direct car ferries between Vis and Mljet island. The driving distance is about 250 km. If you are traveling by car here are the directions:
- Car Ferry from Vis to Split (2 hours 20 minutes)
- Drive from Split to Prapratno via Peljesac Bridge (2 hours, 30 minutes)
- (The alternative is via Ploce to Trpanj car ferry)
- Car ferry from Parpratno to Sobra (Mljet) (45 minutes)
Book car ferry tickets at Jadrolinija. Check all detailed timetables and ferry options at croatiaferries.com
Private Transfer, Taxi, or Uber
Private boat transfers or water taxis will take you between Vis island and Mljet (check here available options). Uber operates in Split and Dubrovnik and will take you to Prapratno. A taxi is also an option, especially between Split and Prapratno. The fastest option is by water taxi, which takes about 3.5 to 4 hours (weather permitting!) The most reliable option is slow car ferries & drive or bus as they operate in any weather.
In the above map, you can see the locations of both islands and main ferry ports.